Watts Backflow Testers of Tomorrow Scholarships Terms & Conditions
This document outlines the Terms & Conditions (“Terms”) for the Backflow Testers of Tomorrow Scholarships administered by Watts Water Technologies, Inc. (the “company,” “we” or “us”) as a part of the Watts Backflow Testers of Tomorrow Scholarship Program (the “scholarship,” or “scholarship program”). By submitting an application for our scholarship, you (the “applicant”) are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
You should read these Terms in their entirety before you submit an application or accept any scholarship offer. When you submit an application or accept a scholarship, you are agreeing to and accepting these Terms and the below-defined requirements and conditions of your scholarship.
Applicants must meet all requirements as outlined in these Terms for the full duration of the scholarship period as defined in these Terms.
All correspondence between the applicant and the company will be made primarily via email, with the option of telephone communication, based on the company’s decision. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the email address is accessible and that correspondence from the company requesting documentation is provided by specified deadlines.
- Application Submission Period: September 1, 2021 at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) through December 31, 2021 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET.
- Scholarship Recipients Notified: On or about January 21, 2022.
- When to Accept Scholarship: Within five (5) business days of receiving offer email.
- Timing to Enroll & Pay for Qualifying Course: Between August 16, 2021 at 12:00:01 a.m. ET and November 30, 2022 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET.
- When to Submit Proof of Enrollment/Payment: Before December 31, 2022 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET.
Scholarship Offer, Acceptance, & Other Requirements
All applicants offered scholarships will be sent an official ‘offer’ email offering the scholarship on or about January 21, 2022, and must reply either accepting or rejecting this offer within five (5) business days thereafter. Failure to respond within the timeframe requested may result in the scholarship offer being withdrawn and/or reassigned. You must: (1) accept your scholarship offer by the due date as instructed in your offer email and (2) provide a copy of your Required Documents (as defined below) by 11:59:59 p.m. ET on December 31, 2022 to be eligible to receive a scholarship payment. The company is not responsible for any incorrect email addresses submitted by any applicants or failure of delivery due to interruptions in, or failure of, electronic communications or other reasons beyond the company’s control. Applicants are responsible for submitting correct emails addresses, notifying the company of any changes to such addresses, and monitoring their own email accounts for any notifications from the company.
Any successful applicant will be required to show proof that they have enrolled in and paid the cost of one of the qualifying courses listed below (the “Qualifying Courses”) and exam within the timeframe specified above to obtain backflow test certification (“Required Documents”). Acceptable documentation for the Required Documents includes a copy of your enrollment confirmation and a receipt clearly showing payment of your course and exam fees. The Qualifying Courses are as follows:
Scholarship & Subscription
The scholarship amount will be equal to the cost of the Qualifying Course, with a maximum of up to $1,600 (an additional true-up payment may be included for purposes of estimated federal, state, and local income tax, if any, that may be due as a result of accepting the scholarship). Scholarship recipients also will receive a one-year tester subscription to Syncta™ backflow test management software (ARV $948.00) (“Syncta Subscription”). Each Syncta Subscription is subject to its standard terms, available at https://www.watts.com/terms-of-use. Limit one (1) scholarship and one (1) Syncta Subscription per person.
The company will make payment of the funds in one single installment as a reimbursement to the applicant, though the company reserves the right to make payment in multiple installments, as we see fit. The company reserves the right to make final decision on how payment is made, and can withdraw the offer of scholarship if a realistic payment process cannot be arranged.
Scholarships are awarded based on established eligibility criteria. The applicant must meet the eligibility requirements to be eligible to receive a scholarship. The eligibility requirements for each scholarship are outlined below. Limit one (1) application per person. The company reserves the right to determine how many scholarships to award, if any. No guarantee is made as to the number of scholarships that will be given. The maximum number of scholarships available is ten (10).
Eligibility & Application Review Process
To apply for a scholarship, you must:
- Be a legal U.S. resident, at least 18 years of age or older, and a licensed plumber. Also, you must not currently hold a backflow tester certification obtained from any of the Qualifying Courses.
- Submit a completed application form, including an essay (max. 500 words, in English) addressing the criteria described below, by 11:59:59 ET December 31, 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Apply via the form found at https://www.watts.com/resources/backflow-testers-of-tomorrow-scholarship. The company will not accept emailed or hard copy applications, or those submitted through a third-party website.
- If you receive notification from the company (via email on or about January 21, 2022) that you have been selected as a potential scholarship recipient, you then must submit the Required Documents, a copy of your active plumber’s license and a signed publicity release in the form provided by the company. Submission will be due no later than December 31, 2022.
The essay portion of the application will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Your role as a new member of the plumbing industry.
- Your passion for safe water through cross connection control.
- Your desire to build greater awareness for backflow prevention.
The company does not discriminate against its applicants based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
The company is not responsible for and cannot provide you with financial advice on taxation matters. The information provided here is of a general nature only and does not take into account your individual financial circumstances. Scholarship recipients are responsible for all federal, state and/or local taxes, and for any other fees or costs associated with acceptance or use of the Syncta Subscription and any scholarship award. Be sure to consult your own tax advisor on such issues.
Providing false or misleading information is an offense. If the company becomes aware of any falsehood or is given reason to believe that you have provided false or misleading information, the company may reassess your entitlement to the scholarship and you will be liable to reimburse the company the total sum of any payments incorrectly made to you.
The company reserves the right to modify, extend, suspend, or terminate the program, in whole or in part, if it determines, in its sole discretion, that the program is technically impaired or corrupted or that fraud or technical problems, failures or malfunctions or other unintended circumstances have impaired the integrity, administration, security, proper functioning and/or feasibility of the program as contemplated herein. If the program is terminated before the designated end date, the company will (if possible) select a scholarship recipient from among the non-suspect applications, if any, unaffected by the problem.