Expansion Tank Sizing Calculator (Potable)
TO PROPERLY SIZE A WATTS REGULATOR SERIES PLT OR DETA POTABLE WATER EXPANSION TANK:
Enter the appropriate information in the boxes below..
How do I size my expansion tank?
Using the calculated acceptance volume and the calculated total volume, select a tank from the chart to the right.
- Tank volume of the selected model must be greater than the calculated total volume.
- Tank acceptance of the selected model must be greater than the calculated acceptance volume.
- A pressure reducing valve should be installed on the supply when system pressure exceeds 80psi.
- To accommodate the thermal expansion required for higher temperature
and/or higher pressure systems, multiple tanks may be used.
Please contact the factory for sizing information.
- For complex tank sizing for multiple apartments/condos, please contact the factory for sizing information.
- The potable water expansion tank shall be installed in the cold water service pipe line on the supply side of the water heater (or water storage tank).
IMPORTANT: This Watts thermal expansion tank sizing tool should be used as a general guide to sizing thermal expansion tanks. Sizing calculations are wholly dependent on user input and are therefore only as accurate as the sizing criteria entered by the user. Use of this tool does not constitute a guarantee that the results obtained are suitable for any specific application.
Watts product specifications in U.S. customary units and metric are approximate and are provided for reference only. For precise measurements, please contact Watts Technical Service. Watts reserves the right to change or modify product design, construction, specifications, or materials without prior notice and without incurring any obligation to make such changes and modifications on Watts products previously or subsequently sold.